Authorities Reportedly Identify First Suspect in Boston Marathon Bombing

by Colonel on April 17, 2013

“The FBI says “no arrest has been made,” media should “exercise caution and attempt to verify information” before reporting:

Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.

” – Madeleine Morgenstern, Copyright 2013 The Blaze

“Investigators scrambling to solve the fatal bombing at the Boston Marathon have made “significant progress” in the case but no arrests, a federal law enforcement source told CNN’s John King Wednesday.

The FBI also officially confirmed in a statement that no arrests had been made.

The denials came after sources previously told CNN that a suspect was in custody.

One federal law enforcement source told CNN that “anyone who says ‘arrest’ is ahead of themselves.”

A Boston law enforcement told CNN, “We got him,” but won’t clarify whether that means a suspect has been identified or arrested.

Some federal sources said it was even too early to say investigators had identified the suspect, but several sources in Boston told CNN that they have a clear identification.

” — Michael Pearson and Tom Watkins, Copyright 2013 Cable News Network

“Details about the suspect’s identity and motive were not immediately available. News of the arrest was first reported by CNN.

Investigators identified the suspect based on two videos taken before Monday’s attack, the federal law enforcement source told Townsend.

One of the videos was surveillance footage taken at the nearby Lord & Taylor department store, the other was shot by a Boston television station, a source who has has been briefed on the investigation exclusively told CNN’s John King.

The development came after a chaotic day in which investigators revealed more details about the makeup of the bombs. …

The bombs exploded 12 seconds apart near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding about 180 others.

” — Tom Watkins, Copyright 2013 Cable News Network

“Authorities have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, and conflicting reports emerged Wednesday afternoon over whether the suspect was in custody.

The Associated Press and the Boston Globe reported the suspect had been arrested and was en route to the Moakley Federal Courthouse in South Boston. CBS, NBC News, and other outlets reported that no arrest has been made. CNN also reported no arrest has been made, backtracking from its earlier report that the suspect was in custody.

A spokeswoman for the the US attorney’s office in Boston declined to comment to Yahoo News on the reports of the arrest.

Authorities combed through video footage to find an image of “a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene” The Boston Globe reported.

” — Liz Goodwin, Copyright 2013 Yahoo! Inc.

Previous post:

Next post:

Page 1 of 11